Wednesday 18 May 2016

Amiga 500+ brought back to life (pt1)

18/5/16:

So when I was about 8/9 years old I got into computers through my friend Simon. He had a VIC-20 and I thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen! Later that year for Christmas all I wanted was a computer. My parents were cool enough to get me a Commodore 64! To this day I'm still really into Commodores and play my 64 and Amiga 1200 more than my PS4 haha.



...anyway I'm drifting away from the meaning of this post. I've had it in my head for a little while now to restore an Amiga and fit it with a Gotek drive and give it to Simon as a surprise. The reason for the Gotek is it's a really cost effective way of having thousands of games without using up any room except for that on an 8gb thumb drive :)

Searching around for a bit I found, what I thought was a steal at just £25, an Amiga 500+ with a few discs. Win!



Until I opened it up and seen the typical 500+ problem of a leaky battery :( Ballbags! Just my luck.



After the battery was removed:



Well that was a kick in the nuts. However I stuck a post on Facebook in the Amiga group and got some advice. A very friendly chap who is also a genius with electronics and makes torpedo's for a living offered to help me out and fix it! How nice was that! You should check out his Facebook page: Appy's Commodore & Amiga Page

Keep and eye out for the next update! Will it be saveable or will it go to Amiga heaven?

Follow me on: Instagram - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment